May 15, 2012

A Love Letter 15 Years in the Making

“Hello gorgeous. You know, I traveled over 1,000 miles to see you. Stepping through the doors of the hotel, there you were. A decade had passed, but it seemed as if we’d never left each other. Your warm smile, welcome hello, and gigantic embrace welcomed me back, picking up from where we’d left off.” 

Before you starting texting and calling my wife, let me explain.

15 years ago, I found myself surrounded by some of the most brilliant public relations minds in the world. Industry legends and emerging thought leaders would sit down next to me and engage in spirited conversation. We’d debate and discuss our opinions, our profession, and the future of communications, while at the same time forming long-lasting personal connections and friendships. 

Worldcom LogoThese gatherings were occurring in Beijing and Toronto. In Rome and Orlando. In Boston and Lisbon. I’d become a partner in the Worldcom Public Relations Group, the largest partnership of independent PR firms on the planet.

But those relationships extended beyond gathering in person twice each year. We shared information, insights and business. I vividly recall pulling together 18 partners for a same-day, multi-city product introduction – something that would have been next to impossible without this tight-knit team working in lockstep.

So when I left Worldcom in late 2002, recruited from my agency to take a senior in-house role with Eastman Kodak Company, there was more than a little regret and sadness. 

Sure, we saw each other now and then. I gave that speech when you gathered in Australia, sharing advice from the “other” side. We saw each other on the street now and then, with a quick hug at a Silver Anvil evening or PR Week Awards dinner.   

I even flirted with some other groups who claimed to be like you. But it just wasn’t the same. Their ‘partnerships’ were just names on a page. They didn’t know each other the way we did. They didn’t have each other’s interests at heart. They didn’t have your soul.” 

Fast forward to late 2011, when I left my position leading Bausch & Lomb’s global communications and public affairs efforts to return to consulting. My business partner? You guessed it – Bill Collins of Travers Collins, a Worldcom partner whom I’d first met years ago at a meeting in Boston. McDougall Travers Collins was born, and the Rochester office found itself in Worldcom as of March 1.

Last week, I made my way to my first gathering of partners since 2002. The bonds I’d formed from years ago had held strong, with conversations seemingly picking up right from where they’d left off. Better yet, new partners became old friends in a span of days. It was a remarkable experience.

But then again, I’m talking about a remarkable group of individuals and agencies. Agencies with whom we’re now working on projects in China and the UK. Agencies that have opened doors to some of the world’s top media at the blink of an eye. Agencies that are currently assisting a MTC client with one of the most unique challenges of my career (a topic for a later Schism post). Agencies that are acting not as dots on a map, but as vested partners.

“When I returned after all those years, we’d both grown. You’d become more wise. More open to new ideas. And more vivacious than ever before. Is it crazy to love your business partners? Not in this case.” 

My friends, it’s good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment